Saturday, April 12, 2008

On national conventions and getting older

Last week, I went to ACPA. I have to say, these national conventions get better every year - maybe not the actual convention but my experiences attending them. It's probably just that each year, I get to know more people, I become more involved, and suddenly I get more out of attending conventions.

I remember my first convention. I felt completely lost. I knew maybe two or three people who were there. I went to sessions - some of which were great, some of which were decent, and some where I didn't feel like I learned much - I barely talked to anyone. I felt like a little fish in a big sea.

Now, four years later, I have become involved in a commission, I presented a program, I met up with friends from grad school, I knew colleagues from various institutions, I learned a lot and I had a good time.

So for those of you who may feel lost at national conventions, here's my advice: get involved. Find a standing committee or commission (or a knowledge community for NASPA) and get involved. Suddenly you will know people, you will have things to do at the convention to the point where you're busy and really have to work out your schedule to be able to attend a few valuable sessions.

On a very different note: My birthday is on Tuesday. I'm not really looking forward to it. Birthdays have all these high expectations attached to them - like it is supposed to be a special day just because you're getting older. And when you are an ocean away from your family and your three best friends and hundreds of miles from any other friends, you know your expectations will just be disappointed. I don't even have any plans this year.
My sister's birthday present for me was a dinner or movie with a friend and I can't think of anyone I want to go with. There's one colleague I could ask. I'm not sure.

I like my job; it's a great entry-level position and a fabulous learning experience. But I know that for my next job search, I will have to change my priorities and make sure that I'm moving to an area where I have friends or where there are things to do for me - places I can go and ways I can meet people.

No comments: