Friday, April 25, 2008

On feeling "old" and being lonely

One of my graduate assistants is graduating in two weeks and is job searching. Today, in our evaluation meeting, she talked about how she can't believe that she is really done with school and will have a "real job" next year. And I thought that I can't believe that I've had a "real job" for two years already.

It's like mood swings...some days I can't believe that I'm a "grown-up" and have a "real job;" other days I just feel old and I am "afraid that I met the [person] of my dreams at a dry cleaner or something and I was just too busy to notice." (quote from movie "Fools Rush In")
When I was little, I thought I would be married at 26; I thought I'd have at least one if not two kids by now. Instead, I'm single, living in a residence hall, working 24/7, spending my Friday nights watching a romantic comedy and eating ice cream. What a life, right? And sadly enough, I don't really see this changing any time soon. I mean, living in a small town and always being busy with work, I really don't meet many people, who are not students or colleagues. And we all know that there aren't that many heterosexual, single men in Student Affairs.

I guess it's just one of those nights when I feel lonely and old.

On the job front, there isn't much new. Our annual reports are due on Monday. I actually turned mine in already. These reports are supposed to cover everthing that we did this year and give a new, incoming staff member all the resources they may need to manage our building and run the living learning community. That's a lot of information to cover, don't you think?
I know I'm a lengthy writer and maybe I put in some things that aren't necessary. But I don't expect a new staff member to read every single sentence. I try to organize the report, so they can glance through the table of contents, pick the section that relates to what they're trying to do, and then go through those resources. I also believe in including attachments and other documents that this person, if he/she wants to could utilize (with minor alterations). Again, if he/she decided to redo everthing, that's fine. But if he/she doesn't want to reinvent the wheel, everything should be there, right?

Okay, so I finished my report and the actual report is about 50 pages plus about 100 pages of attachments and other documents. I know that's a lot longer than what everyone else has. But do people really have to make fun of me for it? If it's too long, maybe my supervisor should tell me that and work with me to see what sections could be cut. But why make jokes and laught at me? It just gets frustrating and annoying. No wonder I live in the "CHANGE" (the name of my LLC) bubble and try to venture out as little as possible. Within my bubble, I'm safe.

I guess I'm just feeling lonely tonight. I've been more homesick these past two years working here than I ever was when I first came to the US for college. But back then, I had friends. Now, I have staff members, who I love hanging out with but can't be with 24/7 because after all they are students and I'm their supervisor; I have colleagues, who - for whatever reason - don't care about me and don't understand me; and I have three amazing friends, who live a 10-hour flight away.

Okay, enough feeling bad for myself. It's time for bed because I have a lot of work to do tomorrow (yes, on a Saturday).

No comments: