Wednesday, February 27, 2008

On a real conversation and a life outside work

Last week, we had a band playing in my building. This new band had contacted me because they were doing a national college tour to promote their music and wanted to perform in my building. I like music and I've always had a thing for new artists...I just like supporting them and helping them as they're starting off. So of course I couldn't say no to this new band, especially after I listened to their music and really liked it.
Anyway, so this band came to my building. We had a pretty bad snowstorm that day and they were a little delayed. I thought, "Yay, everyone will be in the building and they'll love to come to our concert." Not so much. Sometimes I just don't understand my residents. Who says no to a free concert? But many of them did, so the crowd in the basement was pretty thin. I felt bad for the band, but I soon forgot all about that because I was just absolutely enjoying myself. I loved their music. And they were really nice, fun guys.
Three of my RAs and I invited them to come to one of our dining halls with us after the concert. We went, had food and just sat there and laughed and joked. It was AMAZING!

So since that concert, I've been obsessed with this new band - much to the amusement of my colleagues and friends.

But here's the thing: The music was great; the guys were really nice. But you also have to think about what's been going on in my life. I haven't had an entire weekend off since the beginning of the semester. I hung out with some colleagues occassionally, obviously spent lots of time to with my RAs and my students, but I hadn't hung out with anyone, who doesn't have anything to do with our university or Student Affairs, since winter break. And it was SO NICE! Just talking about non-work related things; having a normal conversation with guys, who have no idea what I do day in and day out. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I suddenly had this unexpected opportunity for a real conversation. It almost felt like I had a life outside work again. Hmmm, maybe I should try to do things like this more often....

No comments: