Friday, February 8, 2008

A job or a leadership position?

It's been an interesting week with lots of follow-up conversations with RAs and my grads. Overall, I think many of those 1-on-1 conversations have been helpful. Some have been eye-opening, not necessarily in a positive sense. For example, one RA wanted to argue with me over why we charged lock-out fees. He felt that he should be able to make that determination himself whether or not he wants to charge someone. You know, I'm not a fan of this lock-out policy either (I don't have any better suggestions either though), but if it's a policy and we as a staff agree to do it, then we also have to follow-through. Otherwise some RAs are the "mean" ones who charge residents and the other ones become the "cool" RAs, and that's just not fair!

After lots of reflection, I feel like it comes down to the big question: Is the RA position a job or a leadership position?

If you ask me, I'd say it's both. You have to treat it like a job: complete assignments on tasks, follow instructions, be on time, enforce policies that you personally may not always agree with, etc. Then, there's the leadership position aspect of having developmental conversations with your supervisor, pushing yourself to take it to the next level, making connections with residents, learning yourself and so on.
Looking through the position through just one lens (the job or the leadership position) just doesn't work.
But unfortunately, I feel like that's what a lot of my staff members have been doing lately. They use the "I was talking to a resident" line as an excuse for not getting administrative tasks done on time. Don't get me wrong: I love that they want to connect with residents and get to know them, but there's some other basic things that just need to happen. And in general, I feel like I'm much too lenient with those things anyway, giving second and third chances when things are turned in late, discussing with students how they can work on their time management and and and. What else do they want me to do?

But I think my staff and I are getting back on the right track. My grads and I came up with an activity for our meeting on Sunday. We will continue to discuss issues in 1-on-1's.
Please keep your fingers crossed for me that the meeting on Sunday goes over well. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm dealing with some similar issues with my staff. One in particular likes to tell me the day of that she'll be doing something that will conflict with a meeting or task. I understand that they have things to do as a student, but they also have a job to do as well. Sometimes i don't think they realize its a job, more like a hobby!