Saturday, May 31, 2008

School's out...

I'm in Austria, visiting my family. This is the first time in seven years that I haven't worked in the summer. Crazy! It's weird to not be working. It's even weirder since summer housing is in my building this year; so I know there's people in my building right now. There's another staff member running summer housing. I know she'll do great, but I'm glad I'm not there to see what's going on. Somehow it's still "my" building!
I'm a little jealous of everyone who's working Orientation this summer. I know several of the Orientation leaders pretty well and would have loved working with them. And I always had a weak spot for Orientation. But I figured, how many more years will I have a 10-month contract and the option to take the summer off...I should take advantage of that.

Being at home is weird. Do you ever feel like you turn into your 16-year-old self whenever you enter the house of your parents? I still feel like that misunderstood, stubborn teenager from back then. I'm still expected to go to bed early, to eat all meals with the and to tell my parents when I go somewhere. My friend and I wanted to drive to Switzerland to watch "Sex and the City" in English - they only show it in German in our hometown - and the movie theatre in Switzerland is only an hour and a half away...okay, maybe a little crazy but the German translation of the Sex and the City shows was bad enough...we didn't want to watch the movie in the translated version. Anyway, of course my parents thought that was crazy and we would only be "allowed" to do so if we're using my friend's car. Thank god she has a car! I hate not having a car. I feel trapped. I barely ever use my car at school, but it's just nice to know that you can get away whenever you want. Here I have a bike...oh joy! Every chance of getting the hell away is connected to physical labor....

I have to admit that I brougt some work home with me; I haven't touched it yet but really should. I got this assessment grant last year to do some studies (a pre- and post-test for my living learning community and a few focus groups...we got money for pizza and prices) and I need to write a summary of the project. It's due in 15 days and I haven't even started yet. I really need to do that....
I also brought some books to read, the binder with all the materials for the course I'm teaching next semester and the textbooks, and my laptop with me. The goal is to be as prepared for next year as possible. Maybe I can make my next year (which will probably also be my last year at my current institution...unless my students convince me to stay for another year which some of them are definitely trying to do)...anyway, hopefully I can make my next year a little less stressful. We'll see.

Okay, our neighbours should be coming over any minute for a little birthday celebration for my mom. Which really just means me having to answer tons of stupid questions and having to listen to why everything American is stupid and I should have stayed in Austria...

Wish me luck!

No comments: